1. He was an angel: Satan was created by God thousands of years ago as a perfect angel. Satan was called Lucifer and he lived in heaven.Lucifer was above every other angel in heaven. His appearance was beautiful and dazzling. He radiated light and glory. He was covered with gold and shimmering jewels. Lucifer was the Chief Covering angel and he worked in the throne room of God.(Ezekiel 28:12-14). Lucifer was the first of the covering cherubs, holy and undefiled, but he came to indulge a desire for self-exaltation. [Isaiah 14:12 and Ezekiel 28:15]. Lucifer coveted the praise and worship due the infinite Father and His Son — he went forth to diffuse the spirit of discontent among the angels. Lucifer urged, since their natures were holy, that the angels should obey the dictates of their own will, intimating that the laws that governed heavenly beings imposed “unnecessary restraint.” Ultimately, using deceit and cunning, Lucifer urged fully one third of God’s angels into open rebellion. Coveting literally means to want more than what belongs to you. Satan wanted Christ’s position [Ezekiel 28:6,17]. Eventually Lucifer became entrenched in his pride and God could no longer influence him. God reluctantly removed Lucifer from his position of Chief Covering angel. Lucifer was thrown out of heaven along with the angels who had chosen to follow him after loosing a fight for supremacy with Angel Michael and his Angels.
2. The devil is powerless: The most important thing one should know about the devil is his powerless state. The devil has no power, he just acts like he does to deceive people. To break it down, according to Hebrews 2: 14-15, which reads “Since the children have flesh and blood, He (Jesus) too shared in their humanity so that by His death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.” This passage clearly shows before the coming of Jesus, the devil held the power of death but Jesus coming to die on Earth for us wrestled the power of death from him making him powerless. The powerless state of the devil is further emphasized in 1 Peter 5:11-13 which says “For all power belongs to God, now and forever. Amen.” If all power belongs to God, which is left for the devil? None!!!!!
3. He knows the Bible: The funniest yet most cunning part of the devil I discovered is the fact that he knows the Bible in toto and he often uses it to deceive people. For example, in Luke 4:1-13 while tempting Jesus it was said that “the devil took him (Jesus) to the holy city and had Him stand on the highest point of the temple and said “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written: “‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands,so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'”. The devil cunningly misinterprets the Bible to fulfill his devious missions. For example, the only scripture that people that drink alcohol use to defend their drinking is John 2:1-11 where Jesus turned water into the wine at the wedding at Cana. For the smokers, they will ask you “where did the Bible forbid smoking?” Don’t be deceived.
4. He is destined to be cast down: Revelation 20:10 says “And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.” The devil is fully aware of his impending doom and has decided to drag down with him as much of God’s children as he can.
5. His agents can perform ‘miracles, signs and wonders’: The devil has agents in the form of witches, wizards, fake prophets, juju makers, babalawos, ritualists etc. These people can make you rich if you agree to sacrifice your child/mother/father, they fly at night, they perform miracles in church and the likes. Even the Bible says in Matthew 24:24 that “False messiahs and false prophets will appear. They will work spectacular, miraculous signs and do wonderful things to deceive, if possible, even those whom God has chosen.” Don’t let your guard down, remember not all the glitters is gold.
6. He lies for a living: The same way Jesus is synonymous with holiness, the devil is synonymous with lies and deception. The devil knows the truth but hides behind lies to tell you what he wants you to believe. The devil would tell you that you have no future, the devil would tell a girl that she would remain jobless if she doesn’t sleep with the manager, the devil would tell the young boy that joining a cult group would give him security, the devil would tell that young girl that she will not pass out if she doens’t sleep with the lecturer, the devil would tell that smart young man to use his brains to get quick money throught 419 scams. John 8:44 says “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
7. He uses your past against you: The devil has a way of using people’s past against them. He would try convincing that young lady that she is currently barren after years of marriage because of the abortions she had while in the University. He doesn’t want you to know that God never ever uses your pasts against you. You sin, you ask God for forgiveness sincerely and He forgives and forgets like it never happened.
8. Money/sex is his greatest tool of destruction: Satan’s greatest tool of destruction in this modern world is through sex and money. The love of money the Bible says is the root of all evil (1 Timothy 6:10) and the devil uses the quest for money against people who would practically do anything to acquire it.
The devil knows the Bible’s stand on adultery (consensual sexual intercourse between a married person and a person other than the spouse) which says “You must not commit adultery.” [Exodus 20:14 and Leviticus 18:20] but enjoys indulging married men to sleep with young girls and married women to sleep with their sons’ mates. The Bible’s view on homosexuality is clear in Leviticus 18:22 “Do not practice homosexuality. It is a detestable sin.” but the homosexual movement by the devil and his cohorts has been on the increase in this modern day and age.
Don’t fall into the sex/money trap of the devil.
9. He attacks people with the greatest futures: The moment the devil realized that Joseph had a great future, he instigated Joseph’s brothers to kidnap and sell him into slavery (Genesis 37:12-36). As if that was not enough, the devil led Potiphas wife to falsely accuse Joseph of attempted rape which got him jailed (Genesis 39:1-23). All his plans failed because God used Joseph’s adversities to crown him.
The same happened to Jesus, when He was born, King Herod ordered all boys under the age of two to be killed (Matthew 2:16). The devil failed there but didn’t stop, he tried tempting Jesus so as to derail His mission on Earth but also failed (Matthew 4:1-11). His final plan was to indict Jesus on false claims and have Him killed on the cross [John 11:45-57 and John 18 and 19]. His plans backfired because Jesus actually died to save us, so the devil inadvertently stabbed himself in the back. The devil attacks people with the brightest futures. Don’t be bothered by his tactics, he is a defeated foe and always remember, as it happened with Jesus and Joseph, you will always come out tops.
10. Sickness is from the devil: Sickness is highly spiritual. Sickness is devil’s way of afflicting us. In the Old Testament, Satan afflicted Job with sickness in Job 2:7 “Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head”. In the New Testament, Jesus went about healing people that were sick and casting out the devil causing those sicknesses. For example, in Matt 12:22-28 “Then they brought him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, and Jesus healed him”. In Luke 8:2 “And also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases.”
The same God that said in Exodus 23:25 “Serve the Lord and He will take away sickness from thee”. The same God that said “I wish above all things that thou mayest proper and be in health” (3 John 1:2). The same God that said in Proverbs 53:5 “By His stripes we are healed”. The same God that said “Himself bore our infirmities and took our sickness” (Matthew 8:17). The same God that said in Psalms 103:3 “Bless the Lord who heals all your diseases”. The same God that made all those statements would now give you and I sickness? If sickness is from God then why would Jesus be healing the sick? Doesn’t make sense, does it? The devil is the cause of sickness. When next you have malaria, typhoid, cancer etc, pray against the spirit of sickness not against the sickness itself and with faith you will be healed.
Note: Number 10 was taken verbatim from: “7 Things That Death Teach Us”
Further reading: 10 Things You Might Not Know About God