Prayer is the vehicle for DAILY dialog with the One who created us. The biggest lesson I learn from Muslims is the fact that they pray 5 times a day. Most Christians on the other hand find it difficult to pray once a day talkless of twice.
The importance of daily and consistent communication with God through prayer cannot be overestimated. It is so important that it is mentioned over 250 times in Scripture.
So why is daily prayer so important?
1) It gives us the opportunity to set in motion the course of events of the day. Our prayers (declarations through prayer) helps us speak into the day declaring what we desire. When we wake up, we should say things like “today is going to be stress free, today is going to be blessed, today is going to be fruitful etc”. Speak into your day and it will obey.
2) Daily prayer gives us an opportunity to hear from God concerning our day or week. When you wake up and pray, God will tell you things about the day even before they happen. Jeremiah 33:3 states, “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”It’s in the atmosphere of prayer that God tells you His will concerning your business or career or job. 1 John 5:14-15 says “And this is the confidence that we have toward Him, that if we ask anything according to His will He hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.” God reveals mysteries but you have to be in touch to receive.
3) Daily prayer gives us the chance to express our gratitude for the things He has provided and will provide. Prayer is also an avenue to say “Thank You Lord for what you have done, what you are doing and what you are yet to do”. Without gratitude there is no altitude. Thanking God for what He has done, provokes Him to do more. In 1 Chronicles 16:34, we are commanded to “give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His love endures forever.” The psalmist tells us in Psalm 9:1, “I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.” We pray on a daily basis to acknowledge His faithfulness and His abundant provision in our daily lives.
4) Daily prayer provides the platform for confessing our sin and asking for help in overcoming that sin. Sin hinders our personal relationship with God and daily prayer time is a great place to unburden one’s self from the debilitating effects of sin. Psalms 32:5 says ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD’— and you forgave the guilt of my sin.”
Another important element of daily prayer is asking God for the strength to repent of our sins. Only God can help us turn from our sins, and, for this to be so, He needs to hear our plea to repent.
5) Daily prayer is an act of worship and obedience. Prayer also is an act of worship because by praying to Him we are showing Him how much we adore Him. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” It’s God’s will for His children to rejoice in Him, to pray to Him and give thanks to Him.
6) Daily prayer is a way to acknowledge who is really in control of our lives. Praying and handing over to God proves to Him that you are not running your life. Because He is sovereign over all, He deserves our worship and praise. “Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all” (1 Chronicles 29:11). God is our great King and as such He controls every aspect of our lives. Each day we should acknowledge His proper place in our lives humbly and with a reverence reserved for such a great and awesome King.
7) Prayer helps change our perception of things. We don’t see things the way things truly are, we see things the way we are. A depressed person is depressed because he is focused on the present and doesn’t see a better future. People are trapped in the present because you can’t see a future. Spending time in prayer helps us see a brighter future because you can’t enter a future you don’t see. A prayerful man sees a way when others don’t. A prayerful woman sees solutions when others only see problems. Its in the atmosphere of prayer that divine ideas, divine insights are generated.
Remember, if you don’t have a picture of your future, you will be trapped in the present.
Why is daily prayers Important?on www.gotquestions.org